Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Can you Get it from Using A Camping Stove?

This is a question that’s been coming up a lot lately since so many camping aficionados have used ethanol-burning camping stoves to cut back on the weight and bulk of their camping gear.

While these stoves are convenient, they require setting up a small ethanol burner, which means that you run the risk of producing carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that is deadly if inhaled.

Several cases have been reported of people who have used these stoves while sleeping in their tents, and who have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Camping stoves are a popular choice for cooking outdoors, but they can also be dangerous because of the carbon monoxide they emit.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that can cause serious health problems, even death if you breathe too much of it.

It’s important to be aware of how carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, and how to prevent it when using a camping stove.

Do Coleman Stoves Produce Carbon Monoxide?

Coleman stoves have been around for ages and are a great way to cook outdoors. Many people have heard about the carbon monoxide dangers of fuel-burning stoves, but don’t know how to prevent it.

However, asking if Coleman stoves produce carbon monoxide, yes! But you should that not only Coleman stoves and luckily, once you know how to properly use your Coleman stove, but it’s also easy to prevent any carbon monoxide produced.

However, when it comes to outdoor stoves, you’re probably familiar with two types: white-gas stoves that use gas canisters, and liquid fuel stoves that burn kerosene or white gas.

You don’t want to use a white-gas stove indoors or in a poorly ventilated area, because they can produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly if you inhale too much.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning When Using A Camping Stove

While cooking a meal over a camping stove, carbon monoxide can build up in the surrounding air. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may seem like the flu and may be mistaken for it, especially if you are camping with a group.

If you notice symptoms like headache, nausea, vomiting, or dizziness, you should move the group to fresh air immediately. However, to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when using a camping stove, according to the article on the cdc.gov website, it’s stated that;

Fuel-burning devices such as camping stoves, camping heaters, lanterns, and charcoal grills can never be used inside a tent, camper, or other enclosed shelter to prevent dangerous CO exposures. It is insufficient to open tent flaps, doors, or windows to prevent CO concentrations from these devices from building up. Exhaust from fuel-burning systems should not be vented into sealed shelters when used outdoors. CO poisoning warnings should be prominently displayed in the owner’s manual and on labels permanently affixed to portable stoves.

You can also read our post about: Using Your Camping Stove Inside Your Camping Tent, The Good, The Bad.

How to Properly Use Your Camp Stove

Whether you’re camping in the back-country or just out at the beach, the last thing you want to do is set your camp on fire. Using a camping stove safely doesn’t have to be difficult, though, if you do a few simple things. Here are three quick tips to make sure your camping stove usage doesn’t start forest fires:

1) Make sure your stove is cleaned out before you use it and leave no parts unattended.

2) Don’t use it inside a tent.

3) Practice safety first!